What Are My Options?

Adult Family Home

Residential homes licensed through the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services to care for up to six residents. Many are Dementia specialty homes and can provide most levels of care including end of life care. All Adult Family Homes are required to have Nurse Delegated oversight and an RN Assessment prior to admission which determines the level of care required.

Assisted Living Facility

A community housing facility similar to apartment or hotel style for adults who are unable to live independently and need help with some activties of daily living such as bathing, dressing and medication management. In order for someone to qualify to live in assisted living it has to be determined that they would be safe alone in their apartment, this determination is made by a nurse employed by the individual community to determine the level of care required.

Memory Care

A community that specializes in Alzheimer’s and Dementia. It is a secure building that alerts staff if a resident tries to exit the building. Most of the time there is a secured courtyard to allow residents the ability to get fresh air and be outside in a safe and secured environment. If a person tends to wander and get lost a memory care setting is usually the safest options for them. The environment and activities are created specifically for people with Dementia. A person must have a Dementia diagnosis and an assessment from a Nurse employed by the individual community to determine the level of care required.

Continuum of Care

Is a large campus that has all levels from Independent Living through Memory Care usually in separate wings of the building.

Skilled Nursing/Rehab

Offers 24 hour skilled nursing care, they have on site registered nurses, physical therapists and other supportive services. Skilled nursing care is the highest level of care aside from the hospital. Often after a hospitalization a person may go to skilled nursing based on insurance requirements for rehab therapy to gain strength to be able to move into an assisted living, adult family home or memory care. Many of these therapies can be continued in the new setting.

Hospice Care

Also known as end of life care, however people sometimes graduate from hospice services. In order for someone to qualify for Hospice a physician has to make a referral and the Hospice team will evaluate the patient to see if they qualify. Hospice services can be done in an individuals home as well as any of the care settings listed here as well as some Hospice Care Centers.

Respite Care

Temporary or short term stay. This is often used to get relief to family caregivers whether it’s so they can rest up or to take a vacation to visit family or rejuvenate. Respite care must be less than a 30 day stay.

In-Home Care

Is supportive care provided in the home to help with activties of daily of living. This could be for a couple hours at a time to 24/7 care. We recommend hiring an agency who hires licensed health care professionals, runs background checks and is licensed bonded and insured. In Washington State, In-Home Care agencies are licensed and have over sight by the Department of Health.